February 01, 2011
Mark Wielaard: New GPG key.
Finally created a new GPG key using gnupg. The old one was a DSA/1024 bits one and 8 years old. The new one is a RSA/2048 bits one. I will use the new one in the future to sign any release tarballs I might create. pub 2048R/57816A6A 2011-01-29 Key f...
February 01, 2011
Andrew Hughes: [SECURITY] IcedTea6 1.7.8, 1.8.5, 1.9.5 Released!.
We are pleased to announce a new set of security releases, IcedTea6 1.7.8, IcedTea6 1.8.5 and IcedTea6 1.9.5.
This update contains the following security updates:
The IcedTea project provides a harness to build the source code from OpenJDK6 u...
| || || || || || ||1|
|| || || || || || ||
Another Java Web Start Pitfall
Yesterday, I installed shiny new Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on a shiny new laptop. This morning, I launched a Web Start application, and I got the following screen:
Look at the weird font. And the double checkbox.
When I continued, my desktop locked up and I had to reboot. Good thing Lucid Lynx reboots amazingly quickly because I went through that for several more times before I finally figured out what was wrong.
No, this time it was not gcj/OpenJDK/Iced Tea or a missing Java Plug-In in Firefox. I had sun-java6-jdk installed, and it properly set up Firefox. What about the JNLP association?
I restarted Firefox from a terminal, hoping to see some console messages. Here is what I got:
That was weird. wininet? wine3d_guess_card? The plot thickened.
It turns out that Wine installed a MIME type handler ~/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-jnlp.desktop. I still don't know what made it do that. But removing that file solved the problem. Alternatively, don't accept the default JNLP handler in Firefox but explicitly tell Firefox to run /etc/alternatives/javaws.
I always felt that the JNLP association is a terribly fragile part of Java Web Start. (That's why I never check the "Do this automatically for files like this from now on" box in Firefox.) It might be a good idea for Oracle to put in a check in the Java Plug-In to check the integrity of the JNLP association when it loads.
Date: May, 28 2010
- JAK won the 3rd place of "Innovationspreis-IT 2010"
- Roman Kennke: One year at Sun (Oracle)
- Jazoon Day 0.1 - and Felipe is not here
- Introducing NIO.2 (JSR 203) Part 2: The Basics
- Running Hudson behind an Apache Server: a primer
- David Dice: Europar 2010 : Transactional Mutex Locks
- Jazoon 2010 - Day 1 Report & Photos
- TOTD #139: Asynchronous Request Processing using Servlets 3.0 and Java EE 6
- TOTD #138: GlassFish 3.1 Milestone 1 - Clustering and Application Versioning Demos
- Oracle at Jazoon 2010 - Java SE, Java FX, Java EE 6, GlassFish, JPA 2.0, JSF 2, Servlets 3.0, OSGi, Cloud, HTML 5, Open DS, ...